Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, December 6, 2013

2013 Ice Storm Hits North Texas

We had a significant weather event here in North Texas beginning December 5, 2013.  The current temperature on my back porch is 25 at 4:30 pm on 12/6/13.  Of course, driving is practically impossible.  Therefore, we must spend our time at home and pray the electricity stays on (it didn't for many of my friends).  Below are pictures of my yard to chronicle the event.  Since my trees are not as big because my neighborhood is relatively new, I escaped with minimal damage compared to many of my friends who have yards with large trees with breaking limbs that were coming down on roofs and cars.

Bald Cypress in the left of the front yard.  Bur oak on the right.


Back yard.

My Wax Myrtle had finally recovered and looked halfway decent from a snowstorm that broke it down a couple of years ago.  I'm not sure it will make it this time.

My Bur Oak creaks in the breeze.  

Close up of the cow's tongue prickly pear in the front yard.  The ice on the spines look neat.  This cactus is about 5' tall and at least 5-6' wide.  I started it from one lone pad collected from a friend's house about 10 years ago.

The rosebush still had roses on it - the temperature the day before on 12/4/13 reached 80!

Around the swimming pool.  Pittisporum (mock orange) overhangs on the pool.

The garden behind the swimming pool - the trees and shrubs look "ok".  The Bald Cypress in the back don't seem to have too much damage.

The Vitex still had remnant blooms.

Spineless Prickly Pear.

Close up of one of the Bald Cypress

Red Oak - close up shot


This the tree I'm most worried about - an Austrian Pine.  This pine is one of the rare ones recommended for North Texas because it can handle our black clay gumbo soils.  I paid quite a bit for it - it is not very common in this area but was doing very well.  We planted it when it was about a 2 gallon size and it is about 7' tall now.

 Another shot of one of the Wax Myrtles - not good.  Although I love this small tree because it is evergreen, has blue berries, and is very fragrant, it does not handle winter weather very well.  I will not be planting any more.

Yellow rumped warbler.  I have never seen this bird before in my backyard!


White crowned sparrow.

At least the warbler found a bug!

 Yaupon Holly berries.

A few shots of ice on the leaves.





Rose Hips

The crepe myrtles will lose some branches too.

That is all for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment