Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Hummingbird Moth aka Hawk Moth or Tomato Hornworm

I caught some good photos before the rain this morning of a hawk moth (hummingbird moth in my garden) in action.  It is so beautiful, and because of its pollinating ability and its beauty I'm willing to forgive its vice of being the tomato hornworm - a voracious predator of my tomato plants.  I'm guessing she will probably lay eggs sometime later today on my them - oh well.  Here is a link with some good information on this beautiful moth.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05517.html










I also saw other pollinators on my holly bushes - check them out!  I was surprised to see a fly and a tiny ant in addition to the bee.



I'm not a fan of yellow jackets/wasps - but he's doing his job.



No comments:

Post a Comment